Sunday, August 3, 2008

Night at the Opera

So last Thursday Jeremy and I took my friends Kara and Ivan to see my sister's good friend Margaret in the Seattle Opera Aida. I've never been to an opera but I was so excited to see Ms. M perform because she is amazing. The show is set in Egypt and when the curtain rose it was a beautifully decorated scene. The pyramids were in the background and the set pieces had different Hieroglyphics on them.

Margaret did not disappoint and my first experience with the opera was good. I liked that it was in Italian and the captions were above the Proscenium arch. I felt like I was watching a silent movie in a way. I would glance up and quickly read the words then glance down to the stage and watch as they sung in words I didn't understand.

Afterward we asked an usher where we could wait to see if we could talk to Margaret. Well we trooped outside in the rain down to the Stage door and under the cover of a overhead walk way we waited. Eventually I stuck my head inside the door and asked security if we could possibly get in touch with her. He mentioned he had to do a walk through so he walked myself and Kara around but didn't find Ms. M. One of the cast members as well as the security guard mention a place the cast goes to unwind just around the corner. So we jumped over there for a few minutes and sure enough There was the divine Ms. Margaret with a few of the cast. I was just happy to tell her we made it and that we enjoyed it. I also got a quick picture with her.

I can't wait to see my next opera!

No comments: