Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mini Quilt Retreat in Sequim, WA

Friday I packed up my quilting supplies and headed up north to stay at my Mom's Aunt's house in Sequim, Wa. What's great about Sequim is that it's called "the blue hole" by pilots because it's generally sunny there if it's raining in Seattle. To get to Sequim (pronounced Scwim), I drove up to Edmonds, Washington and caught the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry across the water to the Olympic Peninsula. It's so much fun. You drive your car up onto the ferry, park and lock it. Then you head up to the passenger deck and they have a little cafeteria you can by food and snacks at. I just love to get some form of snack and watch as we move across the water. It took about 35 minutes to get across then you drive your car off and head out on the highway. Total Sequim is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from Bellevue. But once there I was so happy because My Great Aunt Guadalupe (Lu for short) and her husband live in the woods and have a house that is like going to a retreat with lots of wild animals (mainly birds) that feed in the front yard and a whole room dedicated to quilting with skylights, a separate bathroom/shower, and a small kitchen area for washing up and coffee.

I worked hard on my Bargello Quilt and came up with this:



Then I put the binding on my nine patch quilt and mitered the corners:


This is my Great Aunt Lu and I in her Quilting room:


A picture of one of the Edmonds-Kingston Ferries going across the water:


It was so much fun. Aunt Lu is an amazing cook and we just relaxed, ate good food, quilted, watched Jeopardy and listened to good music. Lu's husband Jerry is amazing too. He is taking classes at the Senior Citizen Center on how to edit pictures in Photoshop! He can run a computer well for someone from his generation. I can't wait to go back up there and stay for more than two days. I had to come back and catch a very early ferry because I had to teach a birthday party at The Studio. Bonus I got cake and a Starbucks Gift Card as a tip! Yum!

No comments: